I have come to a stunning realization over the weekend. I cannot do "excited baby voice." I was sitting with a colleague's eight month old child, and realized that I was speaking to this child like he was a little adult. One of my friends remarked, "Can't you do 'excited baby'?" I seriously had to sit and think, can I? I scoured my brain for any bit of information and came to the stunning realization that no, I cannot seem to do "excited baby." But I also came to the realization that I may have been conditioned to react this way by my own family. My parents didn't speak to me in child-speak; they spoke to me like I was a young adult, even though I was toddling around the house as a small mass of destruction.
Does the lack of "excited baby" worry me? Sometimes. I wonder how I will speak to my own children. I want to be a loving parent, but I also want to be who God created me to be. Not everyone can do "excited baby" and I am a member of that population. But you know what? That's okay. Because God created me to be who I am, and I am also willing to let God mold me and use me. Maybe I can't do "excited baby" at this point in my life... but that doesn't mean that the Spirit cannot move within me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tuhina -- First of all, glad I found your blog through your posting of your FTE final report! Now, on to my comments on this post...
I think it's a GIFT to the world and to your future children that you cannot do "excited baby voice." I wonder why we as a culture assume that this is how we should talk to babies. In a sense, it treats them as less than full human beings to talk "baby talk" to them. I actually wrote about this topic after observing two of my friends interact with their children during my trip to Israel. They, too, did not do "excited baby voice," and I took it as a good thing.
http://seekingthecall.blogspot.com/2011/06/bread-of-angels.html
Post a Comment