I'm still learning a lot about being Lutheran. In my initial interview with a committee member, I was asked if I would want to get rid of my Hindu upbringing. I was overly defensive in my response. I could never forget or get rid of my Hindu upbringing. It's helped shape who I am, and it's an emotional tie I have to my family. I may have come off as a bit rabid, but I'm still adjusting to talking about something that's always been an abstract subject for me.
Part of the Lutheran education deals with grace. I hear a lot of words and phrases thrown around, like "justification by faith," and "law versus gospel," and "gospel sets us free." Phrases are nice and everything, but I'm trying to figure out what this means.
In my interviews, I've admitted that I'm naive when it comes to doctrine. I'm still learning. I'm still discerning. I'm still trying to run away from this "calling" that I cannot seem to shake.
I am embracing grace this year, through baby steps. A friend posted something on his blog, "Grace in Small Things." I will list (hopefully daily) five things that have graced my life. These things may have such a gravity words may not do justice, while others can be found in simple pleasures. Here's my first attempt...
1. Splitting a chocolate bar with my husband
2. Finishing my book review without my computer crashing
3. Laughing and talking with my brother
4. Walking to the grocery store on a beautiful day
5. Cleaning my laptop and textbooks off the dining table so my husband and I can actually dine on the table.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment