I wish I knew what to write. There’s a flood of thoughts that don’t really have words that can really express what I feel. Ultimately, I am so, so thankful and grateful to God that our paths crossed in such an incredible way. In the midst of this grief, I continue to give thanks to God for your presence in my life and in Karl’s life. You have journeyed with us to places of joy, but also to places of deep sorrow.
Much of my grief comes from expectations that I had that may not be met. I was hoping that you would stand with Ross Merkel, my internship supervisor from St. Paul in Oakland, for my ordination service. I was hoping that if Karl and I were ever to be blessed with children, that you could serve as their godparent and walk with them in their faith journey. But part of this grief comes from my heart turned inward on itself.
I turn outward with God’s love and grace. With that abounding love and grace, I write this while weeping with a joyful heart. The joy comes from your presence in my life, and this is evidenced in the photographs that are included in this letter. Photographs of you, Karl, and me during your ministry at Salem. Photographs of us as you became more than a pastor to me, but a close friend and colleague. Then there are the photographs of seeds planted by the Holy Spirit through your ministry. I desperately want you to see the seeds the Holy Spirit planted through your ministry. I wanted you to see Karl and me after the first time I preached at Salem, standing at the font where I died and became anew. I wanted you to see me take on the yoke of ministry, distributing the sacrament of Holy Communion. I wanted you to see that the Spirit was on to something when you told me that I should go to seminary. I don’t regret telling you, “You ought to take that and shove it up your ass.” I don’t regret it because I see how the living God comes to surprise us in the most unexpected of places. Little did I know that when you invited yourself to Karl’s and my apartment back in 2006, our lives would never be the same. I will continue to be grateful to God for that.
We will continue to commune together, wherever and whenever we are.
All my love,
Tuhina
I truly believe Marcus saw something in me that I could not see. We were both new, in a way. He was the new interim pastor at Salem Lutheran Church in Glendale, CA. Karl and I were also new; we were sort of transient church-goers and would show up at church from time to time. At a church event, Marcus came to sit with Karl and me. When he discovered that my mother had stacked up our pantry with new and fresh Indian spices, Marcus invited himself over to dinner. Sadly, Marcus did not know that I am actually an awful cook (he professed much later in our relationship that he had a hard time eating dinner that night. He felt obliged to eat the very subpar Indian food I cooked that evening because we had just met and he invited himself to our apartment).
Because I was so curious about this man who
invited himself into Karl’s and my apartment and our lives, we would get
together over a cup of chai often. It was over a cup of chai that I had my
“Ethiopian eunuch” moment with Marcus (yeah, I realize a lot of people cannot
claim a moment as such. That’s why I want to own it). I told Marcus that I
wanted to be baptized. He presided over my baptism on May 6, 2007. The day was
an absolute blur. Some moments I remember with great clarity, while I am
grateful for pictures taken that day because I could not recall some of the
events. On May 14, 2007, Marcus and I met for a cup of chai; he told me that I
should go to seminary. I thought he was crazy. I told him as much. Years later,
I angrily yelled at him, told him he changed the course of my life on that day and
I was upset because I wanted to have “control” over my life. He told me that it
wasn’t just some nifty idea; he was following the moves of the Spirit.Marcus was my John the Baptist. He was the voice that cried out from the wilderness. He had the voice that told truth, even if that truth was hard to hear. He was a beautiful man, and a damn fine pastor. Marcus taught me that the Gospel, that the risen Christ, can radically change a person’s life. He showed me how to live joyfully. He also showed me how to die gracefully. If I learned anything from Marcus, it is that in baptism, we are tied to Christ’s death... and to Christ’s resurrection. He taught me that Christians are a people of both Good Friday and Easter Sunday. He taught me that the risen Christ not only appears in the breaking of bread at the altar in a sanctuary, but also in fellowship over a poorly cooked meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment